Quantcast

[Cherokee] Pre-release: Cherokee 1.3.0

alobbs
Administrator
Hi folks, happy new year!

I just wanted to drop a line to let you know that I've uploaded the first pre-release of Cherokee 1.3.0.

Many important changes were made in the server core in order to make the Cherokee more flexible. Be aware that some of those changes were quite intrusive, and therefore they might have introduce some regressions.

Cherokee 1.3.0 Alpha1 seems to work smoothly, although you are advised not to use it on production environments. I like to request your feedback about it though, specially if it is related to SSL/TLS, stability and performance.

Enjoy it!!

--
Greetings, alo.
http://www.alobbs.com/

Re: [Cherokee] Pre-release: Cherokee 1.3.0

Sharl.Jimh.Tsin
Great news!! but is the source tarball broken? i can not extract it.

Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.

2012/1/8 Alvaro Lopez Ortega <[hidden email]>:

> Hi folks, happy new year!
>
> I just wanted to drop a line to let you know that I've uploaded the first
> pre-release of Cherokee 1.3.0.
>
> Many important changes were made in the server core in order to make the
> Cherokee more flexible. Be aware that some of those changes were
> quite intrusive, and therefore they might have introduce some regressions.
>
> Cherokee 1.3.0 Alpha1 seems to work smoothly, although you are advised not
> to use it on production environments. I like to request your feedback about
> it though, specially if it is related to SSL/TLS, stability and performance.
>
> http://www.cherokee-project.com/download/pre-releases/cherokee-1.3.0A1.tar.gz
>
> Enjoy it!!
>
> --
> Greetings, alo.
> http://www.alobbs.com/

Re: [Cherokee] Pre-release: Cherokee 1.3.0

M. David Peterson
Hey Alvaro :)

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Alvaro Lopez Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks, happy new year!

Happy New Year!

I just wanted to drop a line to let you know that I've uploaded the first pre-release of Cherokee 1.3.0.

Great! I've been watching the 'new-events' branch with much anticipation. Glad to see things have reached the first alpha release stage!

Many important changes were made in the server core in order to make the Cherokee more flexible. Be aware that some of those changes were quite intrusive, and therefore they might have introduce some regressions.

Cherokee 1.3.0 Alpha1 seems to work smoothly, although you are advised not to use it on production environments. I like to request your feedback about it though, specially if it is related to SSL/TLS, stability and performance.

The only issue I've run into so far has to do with cherokee-admin being inaccessible (503 timeout error) due to an attempt to parse the revision (0A1) of the version as an integer. A quick hack has been pushed to my fork and a pull request sent > https://github.com/cherokee/webserver/pull/17

Enjoy it!!

Thanks Alvaro! Enjoyment in progress... :-) Will continue to play around with the bits and see what else I can find.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: [hidden email]
Voice: (801) 742-1064
http://amp.fm | http://mdavidpeterson.com

Re: [Cherokee] Pre-release: Cherokee 1.3.0

alobbs
Administrator
Hello David,

Thanks for the feedback. I've just uploaded a fixed version of the tarball:

It's basically the same code, packed in a new tarball with a regular version string.

Cheers!

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 7:36 AM, M. David Peterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Voice: <a href="tel:%28801%29%20742-1064" value="+18017421064" target="_blank">(801) 742-1064
http://amp.fm | http://mdavidpeterson.com

--
Greetings, alo.
http://www.alobbs.com/

Re: [Cherokee] Pre-release: Cherokee 1.3.0

Alvaro [Andor]
Good!

Is there a Changelog in the package or in the webpage ?

Thx!

On 10/01/12 15:14, Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
[...]

Voice: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%28801%29%20742-1064" value="+18017421064" target="_blank">(801) 742-1064

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Alvaro Lopez Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:

It's basically the same code, packed in a new tarball with a regular version string.

Perfect! Builds and installs as expected, and all scripts and binaries (cherokee > ~-worker, cherokee-admin (with desired options), and cherokee-admin-launcher (without any options specified)) launch without issue and thus far run exactly as expected on both OS X Lion and Ubuntu Oneiric x64.

Question: Given the nature of what appears to be a massive architectural redesign of the underlying cherokee core, should we spend some time pulling together an ad-hoc build/test/deploy test suite that can be easily cloned/used/contributed to by the community to ensure we are able to find/report/squash any regressions that may be introduced along the way on as many hardware and software platforms as the community-at-large represents?

That's actually a project I'd be happy to head-up and run with in the background while you continue to kick-a$$ coding up all the backend goodness that will undoubtedly result of your redesign work.  Let me know if you like the idea and I'll  start pulling things together and pushing it forward if you do. :)

On 01/11/2012 02:33 AM, M. David Peterson wrote:
[...]

That would be a great thing to do. Actually, it is the sort of thing that should have been scheduled as a very high-priority task if we had enough resources.

I'm going to spend the next few months working on architectural improvements. The target is to all fix the issues that have popped up during the last couple of years, and to get the server architecture ready for implementing the new technologies that seem to be gaining acceptance among the Web-tech community.

All in all, I'm afraid I won't have enough bandwidth to work on QA while I'm doing all the architecture changes, so it'd be awesome if you could take over the QA effort.

Our current QA bench is composed by almost 300 functional tests. It has proven to be a really useful tool worth investing work on. Of course there is room for improvement there, but it is a fairly acceptable functional test bench.

However, we do miss all kinds of Integration and User Acceptance tests. Problems like the "A1" trailing bug in the first alpha of the 1.3.0 series should have been detected by those tests. They could cover: compilation, cross-compilation, system integration (rrdtool support, log files, etc) and even the proper function of cherokee-admin.

It is neither a trivial task, nor something that can be implemented over night. However, if done properly, it could have a HUGE positive impact on the project. I'm well aware of this, so if you finally take over the QA effort, I'll do my best to be involved with it and help as much as possible.

That's actually a project I'd be happy to head-up and run with in the background while you continue to kick-a$$ coding up all the backend goodness that will undoubtedly result of your redesign work.  Let me know if you like the idea and I'll  start pulling things together and pushing it forward if you do. :)

It'd be absolutely fantastic :-)

All the best,
Alvaro

Re: [Cherokee] Pre-release: Cherokee 1.3.0

Alvaro Lopez Ortega
On 01/10/2012 09:42 PM, Alvaro [Andor] wrote:
Good!

Is there a Changelog in the package or in the webpage ?

We are no longer including the ChangeLog file in the tarballs. Instead, you can check the git log to read the description of the commits.

Since this is not an actual release, I did not tagged the repo (Maybe I should have). However, you will be able to get the full change list with "git shortlog v1.2.102..v1.3.0" as soon as the release is ready.

All the best,
Alvaro

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Alvaro Lopez Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since this is not an actual release, I did not tagged the repo (Maybe I should have).

I would definitely tag anything that's been pushed out into the public ether for evaluation. If for no other reason (and there are several*) it allows for ease of using git to push out experimental changes, applied patches, etc. in which we can then switch back and forth between branches/tags without need to download and extract a new tarball.

* Since `make` will keep track of changed files and only rebuild the .o file related to those files it avoids having to reconfigure/rebuild everything even if only minor changes have been made.  Obviously not a good practice when switching between major releases where make may not pick up on all changes made to the overall build process, for smaller changes this is much preferable IMO.
* Given github will generate a tarball for each new tag, for those not using git it makes it easier to manage the downloads related to each tagged entry.**

** The one caveat to this is that the source of external modules will not be included in the tarball so an additional step would need to be added to the makefile to check whether or not the source for a given submodule exists and if doesn't download and extracted the related tagged tarball from the related project before preceding with the build.

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:10 AM, Alvaro Lopez Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:
However, we do miss all kinds of Integration and User Acceptance tests. Problems like the "A1" trailing bug in the first alpha of the 1.3.0 series should have been detected by those tests. They could cover: compilation, cross-compilation, system integration (rrdtool support, log files, etc) and even the proper function of cherokee-admin.

For catching simple issues before committing (i.e. doesn't require configuring, building, installing, launching, and running the test suite) a pre-commit-hook can help avoid the more common issues most often related to Sleepy Hacker Build Breaking Syndrome.  More extensive tests will need to be handled by developing a workflow that can be scripted and added to our local dev machines as an alias function.  Should we create a wiki page on github/cherokee/webserver to begin documenting the process as we work through that process here on the dev list?

It is neither a trivial task, nor something that can be implemented over night. However, if done properly, it could have a HUGE positive impact on the project. I'm well aware of this, so if you finally take over the QA effort, I'll do my best to be involved with it and help as much as possible.

How do you feel about creating a separate qa git repository under the cherokee organization that can then be included as a module in place of the current ~/qa directory? This would also allow a clean separation of the wiki, issues, and pull requests sections as well as a separate project page at http://cherokee.github.com/qa. What do you think?

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM, M. David Peterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
so if you finally take over the QA effort, I'll do my best to be involved with it and help as much as possible.

Forgot to make note of the fact that 'yes, I will absolutely take over the QA effort!' < Excited! :-)

On 01/13/2012 06:03 AM, M. David Peterson wrote:
[...]

Sure. That'd be a great first step. I've just added to the team, so I guess you should be able to add new wiki pages now.

It is neither a trivial task, nor something that can be implemented over night. However, if done properly, it could have a HUGE positive impact on the project. I'm well aware of this, so if you finally take over the QA effort, I'll do my best to be involved with it and help as much as possible.

How do you feel about creating a separate qa git repository under the cherokee organization that can then be included as a module in place of the current ~/qa directory? This would also allow a clean separation of the wiki, issues, and pull requests sections as well as a separate project page at http://cherokee.github.com/qa. What do you think?

It'd be fine, but we would have to take care of clarifying the scope. I mean, the current QA does only cover to the functionality of the server, and pieces like CTK and cherokee-admin are currently not being tested.

A "qa" module in the Cherokee org. could be understood as a wider effort than what it currently is. We could either integrate the rest of the QA efforts in there, or we rename it to something more accurate.

I'd vote for the first one. We'd have to work out a couple of assumptions of the current QA bench (as expecting cherokee-worker in ../cherokee/), but I believe would be the most flexible option in the middle term.  What do you think?

All the best,
Alvaro

Re: [Cherokee] Pre-release: Cherokee 1.3.0

M. David Peterson
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Alvaro Lopez Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd vote for the first one.
 What do you think?

+1: Makes perfect sense. Starting with a blank slate for the new QA process and then integrating the existing QA modules from the webserver repository once it makes sense to do so (i.e. letting both the webserver architectural update and QA project mature properly on their own before and then bridging them together once it makes sense to do so). I like it! Can you go ahead and create a the new ~/cherokee/qa.git project when you have a moment?

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: [hidden email]
Voice: (801) 742-1064
http://amp.fm | http://mdavidpeterson.com

market in this version

brice83
Hello,
i've just install the A2 and the market is missing. is it normal or i did something wrong?